Tongs are tools used in the makeup or breakout of tubular goods like drill pipe, collars, and casing. Each Tong manufacturer has their own labeling and sizing system, but for the most part, the Tong Size and Torque Capacity is as follows:
- Type LF (16,000 FT/Lbs Torque): Type LF Tongs are best suited for water well drilling, seismographic, mining and geothermal rigs. Sizes range from 2 3/8″ through 7 1/4″ OD. Additional hinge jaws are available to increase the size to 8 5/8″ OD.
- Type C (35,000 FT/Lbs Torque): Type C Tongs are perfect for drill pipe or casing ranging from 2 3/8″ to 10 3/4″ OD and are most commonly found on smaller drilling rigs.
- Type B (55,000 FT/Lbs Torque): Type B Tongs is the most popular size, accommodating pipe or casing from 3 1/2″ through 13 3/8″ OD.
- Type DB (65,000 FT/Lbs Torque): A small step up from Type B, Type DB Tongs slightly increase the torque capacity and can handle 3″ more (17″ OD Max). Type DB and Type SDD are commonly found on larger drilling rigs.
- Type SDD (100,000 FT/Lbs Torque): With Type SDD Tongs, the OD capacity is similar to Type DB, but the Torque Capacity is almost doubled.
Sizing information obtained from BVM Corporation